Sunday, September 12, 2010


"Just Like Music, Just Like Cover"

I was raised between Michael Jackson's Thriller and Marvin Gaye's Midnight Love LPs.  So I always pick up their records if I'm lucky enough to find, especially if it predates 80'.  I recall listening to some radio station in northern New Mexico a few years ago and hearing a song that sounded like an extended, hook-only, version of Marvin Gaye's "Turn on Some Music".  At first I thought it was the instrumental version of Erick Sermon's "Just Like Music" that sample covered the Marvin original.  But having heard alternate versions ever since, I have yet to re-discover the track I know I heard that day...  "Turn on Some Music, Turn on Some Music, Turn on Some Music, Turn on Some Music"... it went on forever.

Anyway,  a few months ago, I'm flipping through a crate at a thrift and noticed the Marvin Gaye record above.  I don't have any Marvin LPs before 1971's What's Going On, so I was hype.  However, I slide the cover out the bin and could feel that it was vinyl-less.  No music, just a cover.  I ended up getting the Marvin cover for free though and have it posted on my office wall.   

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hate when that happens! Good idea to keep the cover for the wall tho - I'm gonna try that next time. Big up Lee!