Thursday, September 16, 2010


"Two for One (Gato & Corea)"
-Latin Connection-

An incredible record. I think I found the sample of a track I hadn't heard in years from an MC & producer I met while at KRUX 91.5 fm. The track is "Latin Connection" on Gato's Ruby, Ruby 77' LP. The MC & producer is Good 4 Nothin', which consisted of an MC by the name of Chase Millions and the producer Benneli.  I can't remember the name of their track (and I don't know if I might have the production confused since Chase made music with a few others). Chase & Benneli created a dope collection of tracks in Las Cruces, New Mexico while I was on air. I recall Benneli adding on to the base line of one of my favorite Barry White songs and looping the audio for a talk over. Listening to "Latin Connection" off the Gato record a couple days ago, the music sounded crazy familiar. I kept replaying the track thinking if I played it enough times, I'd remember. At first, I thought it might've been a sample used by Ghost, Pun, Technique, or some artist I'd randomly heard back when downloading off of Soul Seek. Didn't think I'd remember til' it occured to me who it was... Chase & Benneli. A lot of those tracks I was rotating during the early millenium have since been lost, but if I find the cassette recording of an interview we did at KRUX I'll post it up.  There's not much online about the "Latin Connection" song which also (to my suprise) features Marvin Gaye on the credits.

When I bought this record a few months ago, I thought it was a double Gato vinyl. I didn't get around to listening to it til' now. Instead, the extra record was by Chick Corea, 78', titled Secret Agent.

No comments: