Friday, November 25, 2016

Supermoon + Fuji + #CFPhotography


Supermoon 11/14/2016
Introducing the Fujifilm FinePix S1
& the #CFPhotography Crew

Since 2012 I've been shooting pics with a Fujifilm FinePix HS30EXR.  I started shooting pics with Fuji cameras in 2006 when I bought a double A battery operated Fujifilm FinePix S5200. I fell in love with taking pictures because of old family photo albums which consisted of a bunch of scattered disorganized pics I'd revisit of  mom, dad, my brothers, extended family members, memories of my 80s childhood, and my adolescent years during the 90s. 

Before I got my first cell phone in 2001, I purchased Kodak disposable cameras to document my freshman and sophomore years in college. I also started traveling a little bit for university events throughout New Mexico, Colorado, California, and further east to Austin, Texas. I wanted to capture some of those moments so I always had a disposable camera with me. Around the time I also learned a lot more about computers, digital technology, and social media platforms that started up. My younger brother's god parents gave me a loan to purchase my first computer which provided a platform for where I could share and save the pictures I took from the disposable Kodaks.  At the time I also became familiar with web design and Adobe Photoshop software which helped me recognize the story of pictures and how they could be presented.  

I never went beyond the hobby of taking pictures to study and learn about the actual craft of photography.  I did start reading more though about photography through the experiences of photographers like Gordon Parks, Jose Galvez, James Vanderzee and someone I consider a lens icon for the Hip Hop generation, Jamel Shabazz. In later years, I'd also visit local photography workshops to ask questions and learn whatever I could. 

My knowledge of even the basics of photography and what cameras can do is limited. Many of the features on the cameras I purchase are intended for people like myself who don't understand the mechanics of more expensive, professional cameras. Recently, my brother's good friend, Raf, shared some knowledge with us from his involvement with the high school yearbook staff. He agreed to take some time to share what he knows for a group we started in our neighborhood called #CFPhotography. Our goal is to learn more about photography through each others interest in our own cameras. I've passed down my HS30EXR to my younger brother since I purchased the latest Fujifilm FinePix S1 model. Raf's lens of choice is a Canon. The CF in our crew name stands for "Canons and Fujis."
  
This month we had our first session which focused on the Supermoon.  We discussed shutter speed, aperture, and ISO and clicked through options in our camera to try and prepare for our Supermoon shots.

Shout out to Raf & my little brother MCZoo. Above is my shot of the Supermoon on 11/14/2016.


digitalbrownhornet 

No comments: