Wednesday, January 05, 2011


"Fallen Angels (20 Years Later)"

My youngest brother just recently finished reading this book that we checked out from Richard Burges Library in NE El Paso.  Almost twenty years ago I discovered this text (either at one of the public libraries or the library on Ft. Bliss) but never got around to finishing the book.  The cover I recall is posted here.  My brother knowing I like chess highlighted the following:


"You play chess?"

"A little, you got a set?"

Walowick went to get his chess set, and Jamal came back in.  He had a clipboard and he put it in front of me.  He pointed to a figure.  It read "3."  I looked at the column it was in and it was listed "Confirmed Kills."  I looked up at Jamal, but he was already on his way out."

* * *

"Brew came in and put his radio on.  He had cupcakes and tossed me one and Walowick one.  The radio was playing something about going to San Francisco with flowers in your hair.  A nice tune.

We played two games of chess, and I won both of them easily.  Walowick didn't seem to mind.  His idea was just to capture as many pieces as possible.  If it led him to a bad position, he would just lose.  I was glad the game wasn't hard.  I didn't want anything hard to do."

p. 85-87* (Walter Dean Myers)

No comments: