Sunday, October 31, 2010


"Nolan Ryan - P"

"Proper pitching mechanics improve efficiency, thereby increasing power while decreasing arm strain.  Stride length is consistent and comfortable.  The knee on the pivot leg drops slightly to drive off the rubber.  The throwing elbow, at or above shoulder level, leads the arm.  The arm is relaxed to generate maximum speed.  The throwing hand continues down and through after release.  The pivot leg completes the motion by squaring to the batter." -Pinnacle, 1992*


For the World Series. 

I never watched much baseball growing up.  Thought it was boring.  Since the late 80s I concentrated on Magic & the Lakers, Cunningham & the Eagles and Boxing.  However, I loved to collect cards all of kinds.  From NBA Hoops, Donruss, Skybox, Topps, Upper Deck, Fleer, Score, the Conlon collection, NFL Pro Set, Wild Cards, the Classic College collection, etc. (even the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle trading cards I picked up at Goodtimes during the early 90s).  I kept up with all the players, football, baseball and basketball, often times visiting the local card shop to view the latest Beckett pricing guide.  Many names are embedded in my memory even til' this day.  Names like Wade Boggs, Ryan Sandberg, Lenny Dykstra, Dave Justice, Sandy Alomar, Jr., George Brett, Ozzie Guillen, etc.  I couldn't tell you much about their baseball careers, I just know I had some of their cards. 

As far as playing the game on the street, I use to love stickball.  Often times when summer broke out, a lot of us kids living in Cooperstown would gather up as many of us as we could and get a stickball game going.  Our neighborhood is made up of a bunch of streets and avenues named after hall of fame baseball players. Most of our games went down in the middle of Yogi Berra...the curbs were bases, we used a bat or stick/tennis or racquetball, and the gate surrounding my house was the outfield fence.  When my father was younger, him and his late twin brother were deep into baseball.  They grew up in the Tri-State area and would frequent the Connie Mac Stadium for Phillies games.  They both even had the chance to meet Willie Mays and got his autograph on a baseball glove.  A lot of memorabilia that my father and uncle collected, including trading cards, has since been lost.  Only an old New York Yankees photograph and an autographed baseball/photograph of the Philadelphia Phillies (1966) is what's left.

For some reason, I started watching baseball this year.  Caught the last SF/Phillies game and have been watching the Texas/SF World Series.  I learned that Nolan Ryan was president and co-owner of the Rangers when the camera zoomed in on him and his family.  Along with players like Cal Ripken, Jr., Roger Clemens, Kirby Puckett, Ricky Henderson, Frank Thomas, Ken Griffey, Jr., Bo Jackson... when I found a Nolan Ryan card, I kept it. 

The card above is one of my favorite of Nolan Ryan.


No comments: